Headline Attractions in Kirkcudbright
Here we have listed what we think are some of the main attractions in our area. Many others are available through the menu system on the left, including lists of events, accommodation providers and places to eat out.
We are sure you will love Kirkcudbright and all it has to offer.
Kirkcudbright Summer Festivities
Our Summer Festivities is a charitable organisation which has a host of willing volunteers helping to raise funds and to stage a series of events over the entire year. Ranging from a series of weekly Scottish Nights (traditional Scottish music and dance) to a Country Fair, Parade Day, 4-day Art & Craft Trail, Vintage Car and Tractor Rallies, Historical Walks and Re-enactments and much more. The season climaxes at the end of August in our famous must see Floodlit Tattoo in the shadow of McLellan castle and a spectacular fireworks display.
This old town house is to be found right in the heart of Kirkcudbright. Now owned by Historic Scotland, it was once the home of the Lords of Kirkcudbright. Find out more about its history, see the dark vaults which were occupied by the servants, the secret spyhole behind the fireplace in the great hall, and much more.
A small entry charge is made. The castle is open 7 days a week from 1st April to 30th September, but closes during the winter months.
The Historic Scotland website has full details.
The River Dee into Kirkcudbright offers the safest anchorage on the Solway coast hence the growth of the town of Kirkcudbright in the medieval period. The approach to Kirkcudbright is through attractive coastal scenery. The marina offers a peaceful haven to stop, enjoy the atmosphere in the town and sample the local hospitality as well as stocking up on essentials.
There are 40 drying fore and aft moorings and a floating pontoon system of 50 berths. Power and water facilities are available at the pontoon along with shower facilities. Security is provided by CCTV. The marina also houses the Kirkcudbright Sailing Club who welcomes holiday or temporary members. Fuel is available by request from road tankers.
Harbour Master: Peter Roberts (Mob: 07709 479 663)
General Enquiries: 01556 502327
Kirkcudbright Swimming Pool
Our swimming pool is community owned and we are very proud of it. Opened in 1997 the pool measures 20m x 8.5m. The water depth is 0.9m, graduating to maximum depth of 1.5m in the deepest part of the pool. There is also a sauna and fitness suite.
They have designated parking for wheelchair users and ramps with handrails at the entrance. There are changing/shower facilities with access straight onto the poolside. These are equipped with an adjustable height shower bed and a ceiling track hoist. For people who have difficulty with steps, a hoist is available to safely lift swimmers in and out of the water.
The Stewartry Museum
The Stewartry Museum was founded in 1879. As the collections grew, the present purpose-built museum was opened in 1893. In recent years the interior has been considerably upgraded whilst retaining its charm as a traditional late Victorian museum.
Its collections chiefly relate to the human and natural history of the Stewartry also known as Kirkcudbrightshire. The permanent collection includes the "Siller Gun" – Britain's earliest surviving sporting trophy, and works by Kirkcudbrightshire artists including Jessie M King. Temporary exhibitions highlight different aspects of the collection and Museums Service activities. Has been described as a museum of museums...
Kirkcudbright Golf Club
Founded in 1893, Kirkcudbright Golf Club can be found on the southern edge of town. Panoramic views of the Galloway Hills and the Dee Estuary add romance, charm and inspiration to a refreshing and challenging round of golf on this excellent quality 18-hole, par 69 parkland course.
A warm welcome is extended to visitors, both individual and groups, to enjoy a golfing discovery complete with full clubhouse facilities, catering and bar.
Galloway Wildlife Conservation Park
Set on the outskirks of Kirkcudbright, the conservation park (formerly known as Kirkcudbright Wildlife Centre) is contained within 27 acres of mixed woodland and is the wild life conservation centre for the south of Scotland.
A varied collection of nearly 150 animals from all over the world can be seen within the peaceful and natural settings where the woodland has been tailored to provide large and imaginative enclosures.
Broughton House, Kirkcudbright.
This is an eighteenth-century town house in the High Street owned by the National Trust for Scotland, It was the house lived in by E.A. Hornel from 1901 until his death in 1933. Hornel, who came from an old Kirkcudbright family, became a leading member of an important group of Scottish artists known as the 'Glasgow Boys'. He settled in Kirkcudbright at the height of his fame. By personal contact and reputation he attracted other artists to the town, and so can be seen as the founder of the art colony. Examples of his work, his furniture, china etc are still there as is his extensive library - about 25,000 books and manuscripts, most of them with a Dumfries and Galloway connection.
For many visitors the crowning glory of the property is, however, the garden that backs on to the Dee estuary and still contains many features designed by Hornel himself. A visit to this fascinating house and its tranquil garden makes a compelling reason to visit Kirkcudbright.